Saturday, June 26, 2010

Thought for the day....

As, I was drivig to work this morning for some strange reason my family heritage came to mind. My grandpa Block, a loving, supporting man, that has influenced my life abundantly will be turning 80 this coming February. WOW. yes, I said 80. It blows my mind that he will be turning this age. It seems like just yesterday, that my grandpa, my uncle Doug, and my mom were sitting there in those bleachers at Estero High School cheering me on as I ran up and down that basketball court scoring points for my team. As, I sit here typing, sharing this "family" story with you It still amazes me that this has been over 10 years ago. Where does the time go? It flys right by, as does our heritage. It slips between our everyday life, and before you know it, those that could tell you about your heritage, and those deceased before you, may just be to "old" to tell you.

It amazes me that in a blink of an eye your heritage sits right in front of you. Hours, days and then years later it seems to be what makes me want to get up and go to work every morning so that I can start preserving these cherished memories of my own for my kids and some day my grand kids who will be like me wanting to know more. This seems to consume me. It is now my everyday priority. Knowing that my grandfather is about to turn a milestone of an age 80, it is extremely important to me to start documenting these past times and stories of their childhood while him and his siblings are still alive and healthy, and still have half a mind of their own still.

After just losing my grandmother (my dads mom) of 94 years of age, and knowing how she went from being a healthy lady, to quickly deteriating into old age, althziemers, and just plain miserable, it makes me even more persistent in documenting both sides of my family. As, I write this and shed a few tears with you, I was lucky enough durning my time of mourning at my grandmothers funeral, Her youngest sister still in her 80's was able to help me out with a few names, and documenting a few people from pictures that were my grandmothers. That was a heaven send. I now have some type of path to follow, and she was also kind enough to leave me with a family tree that she had came up with.

So, as this day goes on, and I get more and more info of my grandfathers past (my moms dad) I will continue to cherish every moment of stories he may have to share with me, and you better believe I will be documenting them all!

With all of this being said, I challenge you to take a moment, and look back into your childhood heritage. Document ONE memory of your past this week for your children, grand-children, or someone that may be special in your life. Because I gurantee that someday, someone in your life will be as interested in your past as I am in my families.

I have made a self-commitment myself,and that is to start documenting "silly" things in my life that my children may see change in my town of birth, childhood, and adult life. For instance, the hospital I was born in, compared to where they were born in the same town. Difference is: There was only ONE hospital in Naples when I was born, Not 3......

This is my challenge to you! Have fun,and please share them with me, I would love to know a little heritage about you too....!

xoxo,
Coleen

No comments: